● Walking through the trails from Cantagallo
Trail “CAI n°36A” (Botanic Trail): Leaving the parking lot, continue following the signs to the right, past the bridge over Ceppeta river, after 50 m on the right is the entrance of the path. It’s the quickest way to get there, is quite steep but offers splendid views and the chance to learn about the flora of the area through educational panels installed by Province and union of municipalities.
Height difference: 250 m
Duration: 45 minutes
Trail “CAI n°36”: Leaving the parking lot, continue following the signs to the right, past the bridge over the Ceppeta river, continue for about 70 meters until you reach a crossroad, take the road uphill, which takes around 1 hour and 30 minutes, it will take you to the shelter. This trail is less steep than the other, through beautiful chestnut woods where there are old huts and old driers for chestnuts, now used for campfires. To Cerliano cross the path “CAI n ° 32”.
Height difference: 250m
Duration: 1 hours & 30 minutes
Trail “CAIn°38”: Leaving the car park you have to follow the signs to the right, continue straight on towards “Casa al Rio”, hence a steep and picturesque trail will take you on the ridge, soaking in the beautiful Apennine beech forests, to take the first trial n°OO farm to Spedaletto and then the final path n°32 to Cave, crossing the magnificent chestnut grove of the farm. The journey times are approximately 2 h and 30 min. (path recommended to bold hikers).
Height difference: 250 m
Duration: 2 hours & 30 minutes
● On Mountain bike or horse from Luogomano or the path of Acquiputoli through the forest road that runs through the reserve.
To reach to the town of Cantagallo
● By train: From the railway – Cantagallo Vernio – Montepiano. We are in the town of Mercatale Vernio, continue on foot to the stop of the CAP in the vicinity of New Coffee and takes the bus to Cantagallo from where the trails.
● By bus: buses depart from Prato CAP direct Cantagallo from where the trails.
● By car: if you come from the highway, take exit Prato East and follow signs for VAIANO – VERNIO, once embarked on the SS 325 along till Mercatale Vernio, arrived near the Cafe Nuovo go left.
From the West: from Montemurlo take the road to Tobbiana and for Acquerino. Arriving at the height of the road ( step of Acquiputoli ) leave the car in the dock and walk to the beautiful track that runs through the reserve, through the Faggione Luogomano, until you get to the refuge in 2.30 to 3.00 hours.